TRANSFORM Third Run
Information about the 3rd run
- Offering period: February 11 – April 19 (2019)
- Participants: 49
- Countries: 27
- e-facilitators: Mutale Wakunuma, Samuel Ochieng and Stanfield Michelo
- e-tutor: Valentina Barca
- Target group and selection process: open call for applications
[Applications are now closed]
The “Leadership & Transformation Curriculum on Building and Managing Social Protection Floors in Africa” (TRANSFORM) was developed through a collaboration between African social protection experts and Africa-based experts of UN-agencies ILO, UNICEF and UNDP, and delivered in partnership with socialprotection.org. It was developed with support of the European Union Social Protection Systems Programme (EU-SPS), particularly the Government of Finland, and was further co-financed by Irish Aid.
African regional trainers who have the competences and the motivation to contribute to the further development of the TRANSFORM Social Protection Learning Package and its delivery in the region can be trained into Master Trainers and be involved in delivering capacity strengthening across the continent. It is envisaged that the trainers will form part of a TRANSFORM community, bringing delivery to countries in the region on national and regional level and at the same time be part of developing TRANSFORM further
TRANSFORM was originally developed for face-to-face training and is currently being utilised and adapted for capacity building in several countries in Africa and beyond. An e-learning version of the TRANSFORM package is now also available. The objective of TRANSFORM is to build the critical thinking and capacities of policy makers and practitioners at national and decentralised levels to improve the design, governance and administration of social protection systems, besides bringing sustainable transformation in the governance and administration of social protection floors.
The e-course encompasses learning materials and methods for adult learning and adopts a facilitated and collaborative approach, using a combination of learning materials and asynchronous collaboration tools. It is designed to have a ten-week duration, encompassing the eight modules of the TRANSFORM curriculum, plus an Introduction and Final Module, requiring a five hour-week commitment from participants.
What you learned
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Have an overview and enough basic knowledge of Social Protection Floors and drivers of change and leadership requirements to engage in transformation towards national systems of social protection;
- Have an overview of the following main interconnected areas of Social Protection Frameworks: Selection & Identification, Legal, Administration, Monitoring & Evaluation, Management and Information Systems, Coordination, Governance, and Financing and Financial Information.
- Understand why and how a Social Protection Floor is beneficial to your specific county context and how it can assist social and economic development.
- Understand that a social protection system comprises different parts – all of which interact with and affect each other.
- Understand the need to adapt and tailor a social protection system to each specific country context. Every situation and time is so unique and requires constant adaptation based on practice and experience.
- Subject choices regarding the design of social protection systems to careful analysis of capacity considerations to address governance and administration gaps.
- Applying a rights-based approach as a lens by which to develop social protection systems and understand that these approaches go beyond a country’s legal framework, by actually putting citizens at the center of the development of managing and administering social protection systems.