Ep. 35 | Exploring COP28: Supporting Just Transition through Social Protection
Among the decisions made at the last Conference of Parties (COP28), was the establishment of the new Loss and Damage Fund, designed to assist countries most vulnerable to climate change. We talked to our guests about the structure of this new fund and the possibilities for countries to draw on such climate financing mechanisms to build and enhance their social protection systems.
In this episode, we delved into the role of social protection in supporting major transitions in energy, industry and food systems necessary to reduce carbon emissions and meet global targets, and how social protection systems can support a just transition for all.
Meet our guests:
- Gala Dahlet, Social Protection Officer, FAO.
- Jana Bischler, Technical Officer for Social Protection and Climate Change, ILO.
- Ann Vaughan, Senior Advisor for Climate Change in the Bureau for Resilience and Food Security, USAID.
For our Quick Wins segment, we are joined by Heysel Calderon, the leader of fisheries and aquaculture social protection for FAO, who shared insights and highlights from the latest FAO event on social Protection for fisheries.
- Publication | The Relevance of Social Protection Systems for the Loss and Damage Fund and Funding Arrangements
- Livestream | Events at the just transition pavilion at COP28