Monitoring and Evaluation of Brazilian South-South and Trilateral Cooperation (SSTC) on capacity development and social protection: learnings from the field
The South-South Cooperation Research and Policy Centre (Articulação SUL) and the socialprotection.org platform hosted a webinar on Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) of Brazilian South-South and Triangular Cooperation (SSTC) with emphasis on capacity development in social protection. The main objective of this webinar was to foster a debate on current and future challenges of SSTC M&E practices. The webinar aimed to build upon participants’ experiences to move forward with the Brazilian SSTC Monitoring and Evaluation agenda.
Based on their own practical experiences in M&E of SSTC, speakers were invited to reflect on the following questions:
SSTC M&E purposes: How do the organizations use monitoring systems and evaluations’ results?
Lessons learned: What are the main lessons learned regarding M&E of SSC and SSTC initiatives focusing on capacity development?
Challenges: What are the main challenges regarding SSC and SSTC capacity development evaluations?
New frontiers beyond capacity development: How to incorporate impact on indirect beneficiaries in SSTC evaluation? How to measure SSTC expenditures? How to assess SSTC efficiency?
Mr. Guilherme Dantas Nogueira - Brazilian Cooperation Agency (ABC)
Mr. Niklas Stephan - United Nations Children Fund (UNICEF - Brazil)
Ms. Mariana Rocha - Centre of Excellence Against Hunger, World Food Programme (WFP)
Ms. Laura T. Waisbich - Articulação Sul (ASUL)
The indicated readings for this session are:
- ASUL Policy Brief Building an agenda for the monitoring and evaluation of South-South cooperation for development (also available in Portuguese)
- BPC-ASUL Paths for Developing South-South Cooperation Monitoring and Evaluation Systems (also available in Portuguese)
- ASUL Policy brief Monitoring And Measuring of South-South Cooperation Flows In Brazil (also available in Portuguese)
- Impact Evaluation report: Centre of Excellence against Hunger
- Project Evaluation “Supporting the development of the cotton sector in the C4 countries” (Benin, Burkina Faso, Chad and Mali) (also available in Portuguese and French)
- UNICEF Brazil Trilateral South-South Cooperation – Lessons Learned and Recommendations
- UNDP Monitoring and Evaluation mechanisms for South-South and Triangular Development Cooperation: lessons from Brazil for the 2030 agenda
- Brazilian Cooperation Agency (ABC) Manual de gestão da Cooperação técnica Sul-Sul (also available in English)
- Brazilian Cooperation Agency (ABC) General Guideline for the Design, Coordination and Management of Trilateral Technical Cooperation Initiatives (also available in Portuguese and Spanish)
- ECOSOC DCF Policy Brief How Governments of the South assess the results of South-South Cooperation: Case studies of South-led approaches