High-Level Political Forum 2021 Side Event | Decade of action to achieve substantial social protection coverage of the most vulnerable by 2030
This side event with high level speakers from Governments, United Nations and civil society will analyze the contribution of universal social protection to Agenda 2030 and for a resilient recovery from the Covid-19 crisis. Participants will discuss the opportunities for joint action within national and global partnerships. It will be divided in two sessions: 1. The Contribution of Universal Social Protection to Agenda 2030; 2. Partnership for Joint Action. The event will be in English and live Spanish and French translation will be offered.
The virtual side event is co-organized by the Permanent Mission of Argentina to the United Nations; Ministry of National Development Planning, Indonesia; Global Partnership for Universal Social Protection – USP2030; Global Coalition for Social Protection Floors; Global Call to Action Against Poverty; International Labour Organization; The World Bank; International Network for Social Protection Rights (INSP!R West-Africa); United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD); Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung; Protestant Agency for Diakonie und Development; Congregation of Our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd; Centro de Implementación de Políticas Públicas para la Equidad y el Crecimiento (CIPPEC).
Moderator: Dr. Katja Hujo, Senior Research Coordinator, Transformative Social Policy Programme, UNRISD
Session 1: The Contribution of Universal Social Protection to Agenda 2030
- Dr. Shahra Razavi, Director of the Social Protection Department of the International Labour Organisation
- Dr. Michal Rutkowski, Global Director, Social Protection and Jobs, The World Bank: Universal social protection – a key contribution to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda (SDG 1, 2, 3, 8, 10, 12, 13, 16, 17)
- Dr. Maliki, Director, Poverty Alleviation and Community Empowerment, Ministry of National Development Planning, Indonesia: Universal social protection for a resilient recovery and future crisis preparedness
- Roshni K. Niggehalli, Wada Na Todo Abhiyan (WNTA), on behalf of Global Call for Action Against Poverty India: Universal social protection – an essential instrument to reduce Inequality (SDG 10)
Q&A / Discussion
Session 2: Partnership for Joint Action
- Uzziel Twagilimana, INSP!R West-Africa, on behalf of the Global Coalition for Social Protection Floors: The strength of national social dialogue to build universal social protection
- Erika Roffler, Secretary of Social Policy, Ministry of Social Development, Argentina: The opportunities of a strong Global Partnership for Universal Social Protection (USP2030)
- Prof. Olivier De Schutter, UN Special Rapporteur on Extreme Poverty and Human Rights: How a Global Fund for Social Protection will enable social protection coverage for those left furthest behind
- Catherine Gigante, Head of Unit, Social Development, Federal Public Service Foreign Affairs and Development Cooperation, Belgium: Comments and reactions on a Global Fund for Social Protection
Q&A / Discussion
Wrap up and Conclusion: Towards universal social protection by 2030
- Summary of main messages and recommendations
- Invitation to join Partnership and to live up to Agenda 2030 commitment to achieve universal social protection coverage by 2030.