Webinar Presentation: Disaster risk finance for better response to COVID-19 and other risks
Slide presentation of the webinar held on 11 August 2020.
The COVID-19 pandemic is having a large negative impact on all economies given the health shock, global economic slowdown, and the impact of domestic containment measures. The outcome is people and firms are far more vulnerable to other shocks, such as droughts, storms, floods, given they are less financially secure and in some areas already suffering from food insecurity and conflict.
The webinar discussed the following questions:
- How does this crisis and disaster risk finance agenda link to the social protection agenda?
- What impact does COVID-19 have on the DRF agenda? Implications of compounding risks and DRF strategies.
- In which ways can we support countries to plan better for and financially respond to shocks, including health shocks like COVID-19?
- What key lessons have we learnt to date from DRF for social protection and how should this inform mechanisms for Covid-19 response.
- How can we assess the readiness of SP systems for the next crisis?
- How does the World Bank identify, anticipate and monitor potential compound risks and severe complex crises?
- How can we ensure that money reaches those who need it the most?