International Conference on Social Protection in Contexts of Fragility and Forced Displacement - Country Profile - Turkey

Turkey is an upper middle-income country and home to the largest refugee population in the world; over 3.1 million Syrians live under temporary protection, almost half of whom (nearly 1.4 million) are children. Only around 8% of Syrian refugees live in 22 official camps in provinces along the Syrian border,1 while the remaining 92% reside in host communities – mostly in the southeast of the country, but also increasingly in Istanbul, Izmir, Ankara and other large cities in the north and west.