Tuesday, September 21, 2021

A window into the 'worrying' social protection figures in the Arab world

The International Labour Organization's (ILO) 2020-2022 World Social Protection Report revealed that 46.9% of the world’s population are “covered by at least one social protection benefit”, excluding health. Arab states fall below the global average, at just 40%, leaving 60% of the population with no ability to retrieve income security from their national social protection systems. The Arab region is the second to lowest in the world in offering social protection coverage, being one step ahead of Africa (17.4%), and falling behind the global lead, Europe and Central Asia (83.9%). Read More