Welcome to our living resource space dedicated to Social Protection for Refugees!
According to the UNHCR, the number of forcibly displaced people continued to rise in 2020, despite travel restrictions due to the COVID-19 crisis. Several crises are starting or longstanding while we all try to respond to the pandemic and its socioeconomic impact. Massive international displacements are currently occurring mainly from Syria, Venezuela, Afghanistan, South Sudan, and Myanmar. During the response to the pandemic, a recurrent issue on the importance to link humanitarian action and social protection is essential: provision of access to health and protection services for forcibly displaced people.
On this 2021 World Refugee Day (20 June), the Online Community Social Protection in Crisis Contexts invites all members to discuss and bring up-to-date knowledge to advance responses concerning one of the hardest-hit groups of society.
This page is a living resource space, which will soon be able to be edited by all members of the community. Members who wish to collaborate with content, can upload documents to the library of the community or share files and links via dgroups discussion or at the resource basket available here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PH5F9jwAw1bs1_ipozB3GTvoed-OZej19F1R_odvxzc/edit). Volunteers will then update the page.
ODI Series: Covid-19: a turning point for social protection
Episode 1- Social Protection provisions to refugees during the Covid-19 pandemic
Publication | Social protection provisions to refugees during the Covid-19 pandemic Lessons learned from government and humanitarian responses | ODI
Publication | Locked down and left out? Why access to basic services for migrants is critical to our COVID-19 response and recovery | IFRC
Publication | Global Trends in Forced Displacement - 2020 | UNHCR and UNHCR Global Report 2020
Publication | Social protection responses to COVID-19 for forcibly displaced persons and UNHCR cash assistance and COVID-19 – emerging field practices | UNHCR
Publication | Social Protection for Children and Familiesin the Context of Migration and Displacement during COVID-19 | UNICEF
Publication | Social protection for migrant workers: A necessary response to the Covid-19 crisis | ILO
Publication | The impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) on forcibly displaced persons in developing countries | OECD
Publication | COVID-19 Analytical Snapshot #38: Social protection of migrants & Monitoring Covid-19 Impact on Migrants: Impact On Migrant Women And Girls | IOM
Publication | SPACE forthcoming
Country and region specific
- Publication | Social protection and Venezuelan migration in Latin America and the Caribbean in the context of COVID-19 | WFP, UNICEF, IPC-IG
- Blog | How to improve integration of Venezuelan Migrants and Refugees in Brazil? | Rovane Schwengber - See also Publication Integration of Venezuelan Refugees and Migrants in Brazil World Bank & UNHCR
- Publication | Improving social protection for migrants, refugees and asylum seekers in Egypt: An overview of international practices | See also Executive Summary, One Pager | IPC-IG
- Publication | World Food Programme cash assistance in Lebanon: social cohesion between Syrian refugees and host communities | ODI
- Publication | World Food Programme cash assistance in Lebanon: protection outcomes for Syrian refugees | ODI
- Publication | Addressing Challenges To Birth Registration: A case study of Syrian refugees in Lebanon | MENASP
- Publication | Assessing the Socio-Economic Impact of Covid-19 on Migrants and Displaced Populations in the MENA Region | IOM
- Publication | Cash Assistance In Times of COVID-19: Impacts on refugees living in Turkey | IFRC
- Publication | Impact of COVID-19 on Iraq’s vulnerable populations | UNDP, UN-Habitat, IOM
- Publication | A Bridge to Firmer Ground: learning from international experiences to support pathways to solutions in the Syrian Refugee Context | Durable Solutions Platform - MPI
- Emerging field practices to COVID-19 in refugee contexts
- Reducing COVID-19 Vulnerability Amongst Displaced Populations and Migrants
- Migrant-responsive social protection: Lessons from Covid-19
- Inclusive Social Protection for Migrants, Refugees and Asylum Seekers: Myth or Reality? Socialprotection.org
Prior to 2020
- Publication | Mapping of SocialSafety Nets for Refugees Opportunities and Challenges (2018) and Aligning Humanitarian Cash Assistance with National Social Safety Nets in Refugee Settings - Key Considerations and Learning | UNHCR
- Publication | Social Protection for Refugees and Asylum Seekers in the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC)