This Online Community (OC) is part of the project "Social Protection Knowledge Generation and Policy Analysis in MENA", a partnership between the International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth (IPC-IG) and the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) Middle East and North Africa Regional Office (MENARO).
The OC is open to all those who are interested in Social Protection in the MENA region and we would like to invite you to contribute to it by sharing analytical and policy documents, advertising events, job opportunities and proposing discussions on issues related to social protection in the region. All members are encouraged to post inquiries and share new developments or innovations in the area through the discussions tool.
Please feel free to disseminate this OC to anyone you know that might have an interest in the subject and who could both contribute to and benefit from the discussions in this virtual space.
As part of the IPC-IG’s current activities with UNICEF MENARO, four publications (each accompanied by a webinar) will be released over the coming months:
- Overview of Non-Contributory Social Protection Programmes in MENA from a Child and Equity Lens (published) (webinar held on 28 November 2017);
- Public Financing for Child-Sensitive Social Protection in MENA: What is Needed to Expand Child-sensitive and Equitable Social Protection? (forthcoming 2018);
- Social Protection Legislative Frameworks in MENA from a Children’s-rights Perspective (forthcoming 2018) and
- Building Shock-Resistant National Social Protection Systems (forthcoming 2018).
We are also happy to share the IPC-IG’s flagship magazine Policy in Focus (December 2017) entitled “Social protection after the Arab Spring”. Articles in this issue discuss important aspects of social protection policies and programmes in the MENA region, particularly non-contributory social protection.
Other webinars from the Webinar Series on Social Protection in MENA:
- Changes in the provision of social protection in MENA since the Arab uprisings, with Rana Jawad (University of Bath) and Markus Loewe (German Development Institute), held on 11 June 2018